Saturday, March 12, 2011

High Hopes


I made an impulse buy at Lowes the other night.
You see, I'm not a very good gardener. I've never kept things alive for long. And I really don't know much about any of the flora that grows anywhere. Except that I've never lived anywhere cold enough to grow tulips. I know that much.
Because I love tulips.
They remind me of being a little girl at Epcot* and of my papa who grew a little tulip garden on the side of his house in North Georgia.
And they're a little exotic to me because I've never actually seen them bloom and flourish.
I adore their structure, they're just so sturdy and resilient through the last days of the gloomy winter when they pop up with their bright colors and say "I dare you to feel blue with my reds and yellows so bright!"

So, I bought tulips. And I planted them in my window boxes.

Now here's to hoping they're resilient enough to survive me.

*I'm not sure how Disney gets around the whole "Florida is too hot to grow tulips" law of nature, but somehow they do.

1 comment: